This month’s Member Spotlight goes to Karen Johnson! Karen has been with Kato CrossFit for a very long time. She has seen it through all of its changes and has been a rockstar the entire time. Check out what Karen had to say about her journey.
How long have you been at KCF?
- A little longer than 6 years.
What’s your why?
- I first started at KCF because I was looking for some help with learning how to safely lift weights to increase my bone density. I was taking a medication to treat breast cancer that had side effects related to reduced bone mass and increased fracture risks. As a result, I had just been diagnosed with osteopenia and needed do something to slow down the progression of the disease. After one year of Crossfit my bone density test came back in the normal range and has stayed there ever since. Now my why has more to do with staying active and maintaining my health.
Would you rather be famous when you are alive and forgotten when you die or unknown when you are alive but famous after you die?
- Attention from people I don’t know makes me really uncomfortable, so I think I’d rather be unknown when I am alive and famous after I die.
Have your goals changed?
- Yes, for awhile I became slightly obsessed with lifting heavier and heavier weights to get the next PR or 1 Rep Max. I still like to challenge myself with the weights but now I am more focused on exercising and eating better to maintain my health and be able to do whatever I want or need to do functionally outside of the gym.
Would you rather never use social media sites / apps again or never watch another movie or TV show?
- I really like both but I use social media to keep up with friends and family from out of town. If I had to give up one it would be to never watch a movie or tv show.
What is different about KCF?
- I think Kato Crossfit is different because it is one of the few places where I can feel comfortable with feeling uncomfortable and getting out of my comfort zone. In order to improve we have to try new things and not be afraid to fail in front of others. When we do that at KCF there is always encouragement from the coaches and other people in class. In other gyms I always felt self conscious trying new exercises or machines for fear of doing it wrong and being judged. I love that everyone cheers each other on during workouts at KCF and no one gets left behind.
- My best result is that I feel strong and healthy. When my husband needs help moving or carrying something he doesn’t hesitate to ask me for help, even if it is heavy. I don’t have to ask for help and wait for someone to show up in stores when I need to pick up something that is heavy. When we helped my Mother in law move into her new home last fall it surprised everyone else that I kept up with carrying boxes in and out all day long. I’m also thankful that I was able to celebrate 11 years of being cancer free in December of last year.
Thank you Karen for inspiring all of us to work hard and that fitness really is about being healthy and working towards our goals!